Have you ever noticed how often you use maths in everyday life? From adding up your change to working out how long you have to wait for the bus. Cooking is just one example.
175g (6oz) butter or margarine
175g (6oz) caster sugar
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
A little milk if necessary
Grated rind of 1 lemon
Strips of citron peel
- Cream margarine and sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
- Beat in eggs.
- Sift flour and fold in to mixture. Add lemon and rind with flour. Add milk if mixture is very stiff.
- Turn mixture into greased and lined 18cm (7 in) tin.
- Bake for 1 and a half hours at 170°C (145°C fan oven) or gas mark 4.
- Place strips of citron peel on top of cake when mixture has begun to set (after about 1/2 hour).
This cake makes enough for 10 people.
This cake recipe can also make 20 fairy cakes (although you must only cook the cakes for 20 minutes).